I have warm memories of Potato Pancakes. Whether, my mother made them on a Sunday evening or I happened to be at a friends home in my predominately Jewish neighborhood, these are a wonderful comfort food. God bless the Eastern Europeans for this simple, inexpensive, quickly prepared, culinary delight.
We typically have leftover mashed potatoes after a Sunday or holiday meal. This is a great way to use those leftovers. I've taken the liberty of enhancing my Mom's original recipe by adding a few twists. The most important tip that I can give you is to have patience and do not flip them over until the underside is browned and crispy!
Now, I like mine with sour cream but others prefer applesauce. The cakes are savory and need to be served quickly or they tend to loose some of their crunchy awesomeness.
Enjoy and "keep on food frolicking!?"
- 2+ cups of Mashed Potatoes (cold but room temperature is best)
- 2 Large Eggs - lightly scrambled
- 3/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder/Granuals
- 1 tablespoon Dried Chive or Green Onion
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 - 6 tablespoons All-Purpose (AP) Flour (depends on the consitency of your potatoes/batter)
- 2 - 3 tablespoon of Milk (depends on the consistency of the batter)
- OPTIONAL - 1/2 cup of Shredded Cheddar Cheese (use whatever "hard" cheese is available)
- OPTIONAL - 1/8 teaspoon Cayenne (red) Pepper (for a little "kick")
- Vegetable Oil for pan frying
- Savory Potato Pancakes - don't turnover until crisp on the underside
- 1Batter: In a Large Bowl combined mashed potatoes, scrambled eggs, baking powder, milk, garlic, chives, salt, pepper, AP flour and milk (as required).
- 2The batter should be thick not runny. Remember, these pancakes need to hold together and brown before turning them over.
- 3Add oil to your skillet/frying pan and make sure it's hot before dropping in about two (2) tablespoons of the batter for each pancake
- 4You can hold them for a short period of time in a warm oven but not too long, now
- 5Enjoy with a dollop of Sour Cream or Applesauce
- 6OPTIONAL - Cheese and/or Cayenne (red) Pepper