I'm definitely not a "baker." I was also a mediocre Chemistry student in college. The two are closely related. Baking is a science so, don't stray too far from the ingredients or process (directions).
This awesome recipe is based on a chocolate fudge box mix but I'm confident that you can use any chocolate mix and have very good results. Look for a box mix with a weight of 16.5 ounces. The final product is a dense moist cake. Each layer can be cut in half to make a four (4) layer cake, it's an option.
The ingredients call for a warm cup (8 ounces) of coffee. The reason for the warm coffee is that both coffee and cocoa are beans. Coffee bean flavor is acquired and enhanced thru hot water extraction, It follows that using a warm cup of coffee will intensify and allow the cocoa flavor to bloom.
Keep food frolicking and enjoy this chocolate treat.
- 1 - 16.5 (ounce) package of cocolate cake mix (prefer fudge or devil' food)
- 1 cup of Plain Yogurt or Sour Cream
- 4 ounces or 1 stick of Butter (softened)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) of Coffee (warm not hot)
- 4 large Eggs
- ! teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Cocoa Powder
- 1Preheat the oven to 350F and place the rack in the middle of the oven
- 2Grease and "dust" with flour two (2) nine (9) inch cake pans
Tap out the excess flour from each pan
Cut out a wax paper round to fit on the inside bottom of the pan (makes removal easier)
- 3Large bowl: place the chocolate cake & instant pudding mixes, yogurt, warm coffee, 4 eggs, butter, vanilla extract and cocoa powder
- 4Use an electric hand beater to blend the mixture for one (1) minute on "low"
Scrape the sides of the bowl
- 5Continue to beat the mixture for 2 - 3 minutes until the contents are thick and smooth
- 6Pour equal amounts of batter into each nine (9) inch pan and smooth out. The batter is "thick."
- 7Bake for 25 - 30 minutes; check the cake at 25 minutes. It may appear slightly undercooked so give it another 2 or 3 minutes. Take the pans out of the oven and place them on a rack to cool. The cakes will continue to cook for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- 8When the pans are completely cooled (about 30 minutes), you will want to run a knife around the edge of each pan and turn the cake layers out. The cakes should come out easily. Make sure to peal off the wax paper before frosting.
- 9Cut the layers in half, if you want to have an awesome bakery look.
- 10Frost with either a butter cream or cream cheese and enjoy the compliments!